An advertising campaign promoting British Muslims as integrated citizens who reject extremism has been launched.
Islam is Peace - formed after the bombings in London in July 2005 - has initially placed adverts on the capital's buses and Underground trains.
They show a range of Muslims - including a policewoman, a Scout group and the chef Michael Barry - with the slogan "Proud to be a British Muslim".
Organisers say research shows many Britons associate Islam with terrorism.
The project outlines a five-point plan, all focused on changing the perception of Islam and promoting it as a religion based in peace.
According to Robert, to end Islamophobia, Muslims should:
- Focus their indignation on Muslims committing violent acts in the name of Islam, not on non-Muslims reporting those acts.
- Renounce definitively, not just terrorism, but any intention to replace the US Constitution or the British Constitution, or the Constitution of any non-Muslim state, with Islamic Sharia law, even by peaceful means.
- Teach Muslims the imperative of co-existing as equals with non-Muslims on an indefinite basis.
- Begin comprehension, international programs in Mosques all over the world to teach against the ideas of violent Jihad and Islamic supremacism.
- Actively work with Western law-enforcement officials to identify and apprehend Jihadis within Western Muslim communities.