Nothing to see here, folks! Just an innocent, unimportant explosion in a highrise building...
THOUSANDS of workers were evacuated from two central Melbourne office towers today after an explosion caused a fire in one and cut power in another.
Six people were taken to hospital and 48 were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and shock following the explosion in an electrical substation in a car park at 570 Bourke Street about 12.30pm (AEDT).
More than 100 people became trapped in lifts when power to the 31-storey building, Marland House, and an adjoining office block at 600 Bourke Street, was cut.
Several people with disabilities also had to be carried down up to 14 floors to safety.
Office workers said acrid black smoke poured out of the building and thousands of workers had to walk down stairwells to safety as more than 50 firefighters rushed to the scene.
In all, more than 4000 people were evacuated from the two buildings, whose tenants include the Department of Sustainability and Environment, V-Line, Allianz, Origin Energy and ING Australia.