Thursday, May 1, 2008

WHO: Israel Doesn't Sacrifice Enough

Israel has always acted in a humanitarian manner. Their hospitals treat all patients equally, without consideration to their nationality, culture, or political background. A terrorist is treated the same as a terrorism victim.

Brigitte Gabriel, who was born and raised in Lebanon, wrote about her first experience at an Israeli hospital:

For the first time in my life I experienced a human quality that I know my culture would not have shown to their enemy. I experienced the values of the Israelis, who were able to love their enemy in their most trying moments.

I spent 22 days at that hospital. Those days changed my life and the way I believe information, the way I listen to the radio or to television. I realized I was sold a fabricated lie by my government, about the Jews and Israel, that was so far from reality.

I knew for fact that, if I was a Jew standing in an Arab hospital, I would be lynched and thrown over to the grounds, as shouts of joy of Allah Akbar, God is great, would echo through the hospital and the surrounding streets.

Thus, the fundamental difference between a civilized culture, and a savage culture. But World Health Organization (WHO) would have you believe that, in protecting itself and its citizens, Israel is somehow behaving in a most uncivilized manner. In 1994, one of the agreements in the Israeli-Palestinian peace accords, the Palestinian Authority assumed responsibility for health services in the West Bank and Gaza. But the P.A. failed its obligation.

Now, according to the WHO, it falls upon Israel to sacrifice its own safety for Palestine's health care. In 2007, Israel treated more than 7,000 Gazans.

According to the WHO, 32 Gazans died between October 2007 and March 2008 while waiting for travel permits.

"WHO believes there is a right for everybody to get health care," said Mahmoud Dahar, the organisation's director in Gaza.

...And apparently, it falls upon Israel to provide that right. No accountability for Palestine's government, which supports terrorism...

But Israel says it has to balance Gaza's humanitarian needs with its own security.

"The Israeli policy is to facilitate all the medical needs for Gaza," said Maj Peter Lerner, spokesman for the Co-ordinator of Activities in the Territories.

"The only reason a permit would be denied is for security concerns."

He says militants have repeatedly tried to exploit Israel's humanitarian policy to carry out attacks in Israel.

In June 2007, two Palestinian women who had received medical entry permits were arrested at the Erez crossing after it was discovered they planned to blow themselves up in an Israeli hospital, Israeli authorities said.

But WHO, much like the U.N., doesn't care about Israel's security. They don't care that, by rejecting one potentially threatening Gazan, dozens of Israeli lives are protected.

No comments: