Saturday, April 26, 2008

Saudi Blogger Freed!

If you look down my sidebar, you'll see this:



The blogger that badge refers to has finally been released. After 138 days in prison without a charge, blogger Fouad Alfarhan has been freed. From Saudi Jeans blog:

I woke up around 5:30 this morning on the beeping of my iPhone which received a short message from the wife of my friend and fellow blogger Fouad al-Farhan telling me that Fouad has been released and that he is back home with his family now. That’s great news and this is just how I wanted to start my morning!

He was imprisoned for critical writings about Saudi Arabia:

Fouad Al-Farhan remains in detention for refusing to apologize for his writings critical of corruption and lack of freedom Saudi Arabia, where he hopes meaningful reform will enable his children have a better life.

Fouad's daughter posted this video message little more than a month ago:


One small victory for the freedom of thought.

No comments: